Monday, May 14, 2007

People stand up for the wrong arguments

Ok, So today I had an epiphany that started when I got my first couple of calls today at work. I'll explain.

The average volume of the calls we receive at work (Verizon Wirless) are orintaed around people who are either confused about their bills, Don't agree with their charges, Or are calling to complain about the 3.50 charge that their daughter got from texting her friend.

But when they question their daughter, she denies ever doing it. So the customer calls in and complains about the charges, stating that since her daughter says "She Did Not Do It" Our multi billion dollar billing system is wrong.

This particular phone call consisted of a few stages. The first stage consisting of the 5 minute intro where I introduce my self as an employee of Verizon Wireless, and ask what the problem is, while pulling up account information and verifying security codes. The second part which in this case consisted of about 30 minutes, was nothing more then me holding my tounge while the customer raises their voice and uses abusive language while they explain that my billing system is wrong.

After apologizing for my company, explained the situation, and going through the 3rd and final stage of explaining for another 15 minutes that these charges are valid, and will not be credited to the account, The customer insists of stating their opinion on the company, and drags the 15 minutes to another 25. While the customer tells me I can put the company in places of my body where it is not suppose to be, and demanding that I fix the billing system because it has problems and does nothing but "Takes advantage of the American people"

This brings me to my reason for typing here today. People will spend roughly two hours of their day to call me up and complain about a 3.50 charge from a company who they signed a contract with, while calling them someone who "Takes advantage of the American people". But when it comes to more important things, like being taken advantage of by the government, or by gas companys, or by other parts of the world that have more meaning then a wireless cell phone company, They don't do shit about it.

Are people these days to afraid to stand up for bigger and better things? Is it easier for them to take their anger from the real world, out on a customer rep. Are they too afraid to take the same rebellion of 3.50, and turn it into something more productive like fixing gas prices, World hunger, or even our corrupt government? Verizon wireless can't ruin your life, So why be scared of the company?

People are strong enough to complain about their wireless service, which realy does not effect their lifes. But when it comes to more important things, like economy, and out government. They hide in their homes in fear, and take what they are given. They eat from the hands of our government, and when they get slapped by it, do nothing but complain behind their backs.

It's time people. Take a step forward for out nation. Stop fearing that which runs your life. Stop living in fear, and stand up for your self. Stop blaming other people for the real problems of this world. Fucking do something about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely agree. People can take on the little problems, but it's the big ones that they're too lazy for or afraid of.

While I don't completely agree with the way Verizon does things, that's another argument. People have no right to treat you the way they do over a stupid phone bill.

Feel free to email me when you have blogs like this you'd like me to read, as RancidPetalsNET will not be up much longer.